Lake Arrowhead and its surrounding community as we know it today began in 1891 when three Ohio businessmen — including James Proctor of the Proctor & Gamble Soap Company — chose Little Bear Valley as a spot for a reservoir venture and formed the Arrowhead Reservoir Company. The name “Arrowhead” was derived from vegetation that formed the shape of an arrowhead on the face of a mountain in nearby Arrowhead Hot Springs. The Lake features a blue water tower, completed in 1908 at a cost of $40,000 (just over $1.2 million in today’s dollars) and part of the original irrigation plan. At the time of its completion, it was the tallest concrete water tower in the world. Today, it is recognized as Cultural Landmark #8 by the Rim of the World Historical Society.
Lake Arrowhead is home to Large Mouth and Small Mouth Bass, Rainbow Trout, German Brown Trout, Catfish, Crappie and Bluegill.
Our UCLA boat docks, located right across the bridge, are used for waterskiing, wakeboarding, pontoon cruises, kayaking, and fishing during our summer Bruin Woods Program for UCLA Alumni.
Turn back now to visit Marker #3, the Welcome Sign, located at the UCLA lodge entrance.